In 1773, the young pastor of a poor church in Wainsgate, England, was called to a large and influential church in London. John Fawcett was a powerful preacher and writer, and these skills had brought him this opportunity. But as the wagons were being loaded with the Fawcetts&rsqu … More
Peter’s words pierced their hearts and they questioned what they should do (v. 37). Notice how the Holy Spirit took Peter’s message to cause the listeners to be angry about their sin. He told them they must repent, turn to God, be baptized so their sins would be forgiven (v. 38). Repenting means to change our mind, which results in a change of life. This promise is also for us and our children. It is for everyone our Lord God will choose, no matter where they live (v. 39). Peter told them many other things and about three thousand believed his message and were baptized (vv. 40-41). The characteristics of the early Church are listed (vv. 42-47):
1. It was a learning Church; it persisted in listening to the apostles as they taught (v. 42).
2. It was a fellowshipping Church; it had the great quality of togetherness (v. 42)
3. It was a praying Church; these early Christians knew that they could not meet life in their own strength and that they did not need to (v. 42).
4. It was a reverent Church; in verse 43 the word translated “fear” has the idea of awe in it.
5. It was a doing Church where things happened:signs and wonders were there (v. 43).
6. It was a sharing Church (vv. 44, 45); they had a feeling of responsibility for each other.
7. It was a worshiping Church (v. 46); they never forgot to visit God’s house.
8. It was a happy Church (v. 46); A gloomy Christian is contradiction in terms.
9. It was a enjoyable Church whose people others could not help liking (v.47).
10 It was an evangelistic Church (v. 48); people were being saved and added daily.
The early church attracted people because of the way the members loved each other, and served each other, and served the Lord. Lord, help me to be that kind of person.
Warning: MagpieRSS: Failed to parse RSS file. (EntityRef: expecting ';' at line 49, column 103) in /var/www/html/familytimes/includes/magpie6-1/rss_fetch.inc on line 230
Warning: array_slice() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /var/www/html/familytimes/includes/rss/esvLookup.php on line 15
View this passage in NIV (Bible Gateway) »
Acts 1:1-5Waiting for the Holy Spirit
Acts 1:6-11Commissioned to Witness Everywhere
Acts 1:12-14Unity In Prayer Among the Brethren
Acts 1:15-26Peter Leads The Prayer Meeting
Acts 2:1-13A Special Sign for the Early Church
Acts 2:14-21Peter Preaches On Prophecy
Acts 2:22-28Peter Proclaims Jesus’ Resurrection Power
Acts 2:29-36Four proofs of the Resurrection and Ascension
Acts 2:37-47Characteristics of the early Church
Acts 3:1-10A lame man healed
Acts 3:11-16Supernatural healing of the crippled man
Acts 3:17-26Peter’s Message of Repentance
Acts 4:1-12Early Church Persecuted for their Faith
Acts 4:13-22Boldness Brings Results
Acts 4:23-31Prayer Produces Unity
Acts 4:32-37Sharing Shows Brotherly-Love
Acts 5:1-11Ananias & Sapphira Hide the Truth & Suffer Consequences
Acts 5:12-16Effective Church Ministry
Acts 5:17-32Obedience to God and Man
Acts 5:33-42Gamaliel Convinces the Council – No Persecution