An old deacon who used to pray every Wednesday night at prayer meeting always concluded his prayer the same way: “And, Lord, clean all the cobwebs out of my life.” The cobwebs were those things that ought not to have been there, but had gathered during the week. It got … More
Thirteen qualifications are given for deacons (Deacon simply means servant)
1. grave - serious in purpose and worthy of respect (v. 8).
2. not double-tongued - does not speak one thing to one person and the opposite to another (v. 8).
3. not given to much wine - not using strong drink (v. 8).
4. not greedy of filthy lucre - not a lover of money; does not gain money dishonestly (v. 8).
5. holding the mystery of faith in a pure conscience - a man of spiritual depth and quality (v. 9).
6. proved - time and experience has shown his quality in the ordinary activities of life (v. 10).
7. blameless - in his life that Satan or unbelievers could use against him (v. 10).
8. women (or wives) are to be grave - serious in purpose and worthy of respect in conduct (v. 11).
9. women (or wives) are not to be slanderers - not given to find fault in others (v. 11).
10. women (or wives) are to be sober - self controlled; sound in mind (v.11).
11. women (or wives) are to be faithful in all things - trustworthy in everything (v. 11).
12. husband of one wife - a “one-woman” man (not a flirt; not divorced), (v.12).
13. ruling their children and their homes well -good family manager which includes love, discipline, instruction etc (v.12).
Every good Christian should be able to fulfill the above qualifications as it pertains to their age and sex. The original intention for deacons was to help meet the physical needs of the church so that the pastors could “give themselves continually to prayer and to the ministry of the word” (Acts 6:1-4).
Lord help me to be able to meet the qualifications of a deacon whether I ever become one or not.
Warning: MagpieRSS: Failed to parse RSS file. (EntityRef: expecting ';' at line 49, column 103) in /var/www/html/familytimes/includes/magpie6-1/rss_fetch.inc on line 230
Warning: array_slice() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /var/www/html/familytimes/includes/rss/esvLookup.php on line 15
View this passage in NIV (Bible Gateway) »
I Timothy 1:1-7Don’t Let False Teaching Deceive You!
I Timothy 1:8-11The law reveals sin but doesn’t take it away
I Timothy 1:12-14Can a person be forgiven for murder?
I Timothy 1:15-17Paul’s experience on the Damascus road
I Timothy 1:18-20Like it or not we are in warfare
I Timothy 2:1-7The priorities of prayer
I Timothy 2:8-15The place of women in the Church
I Timothy 3:1-7The qualifications for a pastor
I Timothy 3:8-13The qualifications for a deacon
I Timothy 3:14-16Who we are, what we believe and how we behave
I Timothy 4:1-5False teachers are a threat to the Church
I Timothy 4:6-10One of lifes greatest needs
I Timothy 4:11-16The rewards of meditation
I Timothy 5:1-4What are your responsibilities toward others?
I Timothy 5:5-16Who takes care of the widow?
I Timothy 5:17-25What does it mean to be given "double honor?”
I Timothy 6:1-2How do you show respect to those you work for?
I Timothy 6:3-10What keeps you from being content?
I Timothy 6:11-16What is your definition of Success?
I Timothy 6:17-21Is it a sin to be rich?