There have been times when we have gone to a high school basketball game and the kids asked for some money to buy candy. I
gave them $5 and they returned with some candy. I ask for a piece and their answer is “no.” Here is what they don’t realize. I gave
them th … More
We need to keep in mind that the context of this chapter is soon after Lot has gone back to Sodom. No doubt Abraham was wondering whether or not his efforts to rescue and restore his backsliding nephew had been totally useless. Now God comes to Abraham to discuss some family affairs:
I. The building of Abraham’s family (vv. 1-7).
A. God’s Power in His Word. It was to be by spiritual power and not by the flesh.
1. First there was a pledge (v. 1). God said “Fear not you still have me.”
2. This pledge was to be followed by a plea (vv. 2-3). Abraham reminds God that if anything happens to him, a mere servant will become his heir.
3. God revealed His plan (v. 4). The Lord strongly answers him by saying that a son will come from Abraham’s own body to be his heir.
B. God’s Power in His Witness (vv. 5-6). There are more stars than grains of sand.
C. God’s Power in His Work (v. 7). Abrahamsuddenly stopped and turned toward Canaan.
II. The basis of Abraham’s faith (vv. 8-12). Abraham could not understand Calvary completely but in some small way he came to understand the misery of it (vv. 11-12).
III. The brightness of Abraham’s future (vv. 13-21). Abraham learns about:
A. The specific time involved (vv. 13-16): Not one hour before justice is accomplished.
1. Included the permissive will of God (vv. 13-14).
2. Included the personal will of God (v. 15).
3. Included the preordaining will of God (v. 16).
B. The specific territory involved (vv. 17-21): Abraham’s seed will get the land
1. A guarantee of the land promised (v. 17).
2. The greatness of the land promised (vv. 18-21). A binding covenant with Abraham.
Nothing will stop God from accomplishing His perfect will in my life. His timetable may not be the same as what I desire, but I need to claim His promises for He knows what’s best for me.
Warning: MagpieRSS: Failed to parse RSS file. (EntityRef: expecting ';' at line 49, column 103) in /var/www/html/familytimes/includes/magpie6-1/rss_fetch.inc on line 230
Warning: array_slice() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /var/www/html/familytimes/includes/rss/esvLookup.php on line 15
View this passage in NIV (Bible Gateway) »
Genesis 12:1-9Promises to Abram
Genesis 12:10-20Abram in Egypt
Genesis 13:1-18Abram and Lot Separate
Genesis 14:1-12Lot’s Captivity and Rescue
Genesis 14:13-24Abram and Melchizedek
Genesis 15:1-21The Abrahamic Covenant
Genesis 16:1-16Hagar and Ishmael
Genesis 17:1-16The Sign of the Covenant
Genesis 17:17-27Abraham And Ishmael are Circumcised
Genesis 18:1-15God Promises Abraham a Son
Genesis 18:16-33Abraham Makes an Appeal for Sodom