In his autobiography, Col. Harland Sanders of Kentucky Fried Chicken fame says that he was always a God-fearing man. Yet he
knew that if he died, God probably wouldn’t take him to heaven. Worried, he traveled to Australia to a special church convention
for the answer. He di … More
Having failed the Lord, Abraham leaves Egypt with his family and possessions; a sad but wiser man. No doubt he made a choice and promised himself he would never again step out of the will of God. We see 3 characteristics in the life of Abraham that are characteristic of a spiritual man:
1. Separation - “And Abraham, who was very rich, went up out of Egypt” (v. 1). The first mark of a spiritual man is Biblical separation from the world.
2. Sanctification - “He went . . . even to Bethel, unto the place where his tent had been at the beginning” (v. 3). Sanctification is not so much “separation from” as it is “separation unto.” It is keeping as far away from the world as possible.
3. Sacrifice - Abraham came “unto the place of the altar, which he had made there at an earlier date: and there called on the name of the Lord” (v. 4).This symbolizes his choice of readiness for any sacrifice that God might ask of him.
In contrast to the characteristics of a spiritual man which we find in Abraham, the characteristics of a carnal man are found in Lot (vv. 5-15):
1. Weak Devotions - Lot did not have an altar or a time of waiting on God (v. 4).
2. Worldly Desires - Lot was more concerned about having a good place to graze his cattle than a good place to raise his children (v. 10).
3. Wrong Decisions - Lot chose to pitch his tent toward wicked Sodom rather than keeping in touch with his godly uncle (v. 12).
Abraham moved to Mamre at Hebrom where he built an Altar for the Lord (vv. 16-18).
We face some of the same choices that Abraham and Lot faced in life. I can either follow the Lord or surrender to the pull of the world.
Warning: MagpieRSS: Failed to parse RSS file. (EntityRef: expecting ';' at line 49, column 103) in /var/www/html/familytimes/includes/magpie6-1/rss_fetch.inc on line 230
Warning: array_slice() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /var/www/html/familytimes/includes/rss/esvLookup.php on line 15
View this passage in NIV (Bible Gateway) »
Genesis 10:1-32The Descendants of Noah
Genesis 11:1-9The Tower of Babel
Genesis 11:10-32Shem And Terah’s Descendants
Genesis 12:1-9Promises to Abram
Genesis 12:10-20Abram in Egypt
Genesis 13:1-18Abram and Lot Separate
Genesis 14:1-12Lot’s Captivity and Rescue
Genesis 14:13-24Abram and Melchizedek
Genesis 15:1-21The Abrahamic Covenant
Genesis 16:1-16Hagar and Ishmael